The above links will take you to some of my favorite websites - enjoy them.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Be The Match

http://www.bethematch.org/

Day 21 of 365

I have heard so many stories of people not able to go on living because they are on a donor list, and if they do not get a match they only have so many months to live. This to me, is very sad. I requested my donor kit the other day and to my surprise it arrived very quickly and I am going to be putting it in the mail box this afternoon. I am hoping that I am able to one day help someone go on living. I am not talking about organ donation or anything like that. I am talking about being a marrow donor.

A friend of mine lost her husband last year. He had a match all lined up to be the donor that would have saved his life, but it come too late. The infection kept spreading and he was not strong enough to take on the donation. I wonder if the donor would have come sooner if he would have been strong enough. It breaks my heart to know that he has left behind a very amazing woman. Strong, kind, loving, caring. She would do anything for anyone at any time. And not only did he leave behind a very amazing woman, he also left behind a very amazing little girl, his daughter. They will never forget him, and his legacy. Who he was.

While they were patiently awaiting on a donor for him, she let out a call for her friends to take the swabs, get tested and get entered into the National Registry. Even if we were not a match for him, we could be a match for someone else. Someone fighting for their life, so they do not have to leave their loved ones. The thought crossed my mind, but I did nothing. And it has kind of been ragging in me since. Every time I see her name come through my news feed on facebook my heart skips a beat just a little. She is my inspiration - she is what has made me request my kit and get my name into the National Registry. I want to thank her, Eunice, for the push she has given me, even if she is not aware of it. The thought that I may some day save someones life warms me. And makes me feel good.

Contrary to what you all may believe, marrow donation is not painful, nor does it require a major surgery. It is a simple donation, almost like giving plasma, or blood. I highly suggest you all to go to the website: http://www.bethematch.org/ - and request your donor kit. Read the requirements and get as many questions answered as you can. You could save someones life. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would greatly appreciate anyone who enters the Registry. Match or not.





Eunice & Haylie - My prayers are with you all the time. You are my inspirations. You make me realize that life is more than just living... it is a legacy, and something that should not be taken for granted. You make me love those around me even more. You are in inspirations.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Diana! This brought so many tears to my eyes and so much warmth to my heart. You are an amazing woman and I'm so proud out you! Thank you for being someone's future match. Love to you from your inspirations. :)

    ~Eunice and Haylie

    ReplyDelete